Friday, July 5, 2013

Peachtree Road Race recap

Yesterday was the annual Peachtree Road Race in Atlanta. This was my 3rd time running the event. My training for the actual race had been very limited as I've been focusing on weight training more the last few months. Even with the lack of run training, I still had a plan for the race: Run the race in segments
  • Mile 1 - start the race slow until crowd thins out some
  • Mile 2 & 3 - pick up pace to near what I'd hope to run
  • Mile 4 (Cardiac Hill) - just survive 
  • Mile 5 - get back into a groove and transition to a walk/run
  • Mile 6 - pick up pace
  • Last .2 miles - kick it up and finish strong

Here's the actual data from Garmin:
  • Mile 1 @ 11:13
  • Mile 2 @ 10:34
  • Mile 3 @ 10:45
  • Mile 4 @ 12:32
  • Mile 5 @ 12:04
  • Mile 6 @ 11:27
  • Last .34 @ 10:36
The weather was much different than last year. There had been heavy rains most of the day on Wednesday and forecast for Thursday was more of the same. However, upon arriving to the start area, the rain had stopped and didn't begin again until after all of our group had finished. Temps were in the upper 60's/low 70's with very high humidity. Considering the weather the past 2 years, this was much better running weather for July 4th.

Overall time was 1:12:13, which was a Peachtree PR for me (5:07 over last year's 1:17:20). I have to admit I wasn't sure I'd be able to work a plan like this. I've always gone into races with no set plan. But, this actually felt good. I guess I'll start planning out these things more in the future. 

No comments:

Post a Comment